Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Andy's First E-Mail Home: 30 minutes into his MTC Experience

Communication between the missionaries and their family & friends is very limited to allow the missionaries to focus on serving others full-time.  The missionaries are allowed to call home on Mother's Day and Christmas.  The rest of the communication home is usually through written letters or weekly emails.  We happily received Andy's first e-mail before we were even home from dropping him off at the MTC.  



I made it here safe and well. I already found Sister Spencer as she is one of my teachers. I also ran into Brother Spencer as well. They speak mostly Tagalog and I do not so... But I am excited to learn and I am glad that is what they mostly speak. 
Much love!
                                                                                                  -Elder Payne

Let us explain whom Andy is referring to in his email.  The Spencers are an amazing family from our area.  Two of the Spencer children, Hannah and Danny, previously served an LDS mission in the Philippines.  Both have returned from their missions and now teach Tagalog in the Provo MTC.  Andy, Elizabeth, and Christian were in a play with Hannah many years ago.  We were so impressed with the kindness that Hannah showed our children and loved getting to know her wonderful family.  Andy hasn't been in contact with Hannah since their time together in the play, but Jullie was fortunate enough to teach her younger brother Adam while he was in 5th grade.  We love this family and were excited that Andy might have an opportunity to interact with Danny or Hannah while in the MTC.  We were really pleased to read in his first email that Hannah would be one of his teachers.

We want to share a "THEN" and "NOW" picture because both Hannah and Andy 
have grown up a bit since the last time they worked together. ;)

                                    
THEN
The Unicorn Theatre cast of Jackie and the Chili Stalk:
Lee Daily, Hannah Spencer, Emma, Andy Payne, Elizabeth Payne, Christian Payne
2005

NOW
Elder Andrew Payne and Sister Hannah Spencer
Provo MTC July 2017

 
JUST BECAUSE
Christian and Hannah
2005
 

ONE LAST ONE
Elizabeth, Andy, and Christian
2005

4 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful!!! I love the then and now pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amie! It's fun for us to see, too!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Tiffani! We miss you! I'm glad that we got to catch up recently!

      Delete

I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go

Well, I'm in a bit of a state of shock right now. I got a call from the zone leaders last night that I would be transferring. I have onl...