Sunday, November 5, 2017

Harvesting Rice, Digging Graves, and Transfers - November 6, 2017

So uh, what a week! To start out I had exchanges on Tuesday. For transfers one missionary goes into the other missionary's area and stays the night. So I had transfers with Elder Fielding and he is way dope but he is a transfer below me so in other words we both don't really know Tagalog... So, he came into my area and I had to lead him. It was the blind leading the blind haha. We were two Americans both in training alone in our area.  We don't have anyone else in our apartment so we were literally all alone! But we had a great experience! We were able to work hard and find some promising potential investigators.

We harvested rice on Wednesday! It was way fun and pretty hard work! You go barefoot and just jump into the rice field. The way to harvest the rice is with these curved knives that just saw right threw the stocks of rice. You stack them up in piles and then after a couple of days they beat the rice out of the stocks and set it onto the road to dry. After we were done cutting the rice we got to ride the guys carabao! I had to get an Aklat ni Mormon and hold it like a picture my MTC teacher Brother West took on his mission! So shout out to Brother West for the picture! It wasn't as good as brother West's picture but I did my best! 

The day after we harvest rice for like six hours, we dug a grave for the dad of a man in our ward.  We were digging it with some other guys who were just speaking mad Ilokano the whole time, didn't understand a word haha They marked out the dimensions of the grave and then when we made it like six feet deep with only 2 metal picks and two shovels. It was kind of interesting when we hit another coffin about 4 feet down... awkward. When we hit the coffin we just made the grave like two feet longer on the other end. Some problem solving right there!

Last thing... Transfers this week and Elder Manarang is transferring. :( I am now out of training and am going to lead my area this next transfer! I'm way nervous but excited too! I just can't believe I'm already out of my training! I felt like it was yesterday I jumped on a bus with my trainer with all my bags and everything! time flies, even when it's hard... time flies!

Love you all and take care this week! 

-Elder Payne

That's where we harvested rice. We did that whole field and another one right beside it!



My feet after harvesting rice


I rode a carabao (water buffalo native to the Philippines) and held the Book of Mormon like I was marching into war! Brother West (one of  our MTC instructors) showed us a picture from his mission just like this so i had to copy him of course!

This is Sister O.  She is a super nice sister I met at a musical devotional on Saturday.

We saw these guys driving this thing across the river. If you look close the handle is a welded-on bike handlebar and the seat is literally just a metal frame... But it has a nice head rest haha.  Ingenious!  




Our Church Building

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go

Well, I'm in a bit of a state of shock right now. I got a call from the zone leaders last night that I would be transferring. I have onl...